(603) 225-4199 info@nhcuc.org

Tuition Remission

NHCUC’s Cooperative Tuition Remission program offers an exclusive opportunity for member campuses. This program expands college choices and provides tuition relief for families of faculty and staff.

A Cooperative Benefit

Private colleges and universities in our network have agreed to a reciprocal tuition agreement. Under this agreement, they waive tuition for children of full-time faculty and staff of other participating NHCUC institutions.

The program covers full tuition at participating institutions to which eligible students have been accepted. For faculty and staff, this high-value benefit opens access to New Hampshire colleges and universities for students with diverse interests.

Tuition Remission lets member colleges & universities offer an exceptional benefit for faculty & staff.

Eligibility & Coverage

To participate, parents or guardians must be employed full-time by a participating NHCUC college or university for at least 12 months. They must be eligible for full-time employee benefits and receive compensation for their employment directly from the institution.

Participating students must be dependents, as defined by the IRS. Student applicants must be admissible at the institution to which they apply in accordance with its regular admission standards and must comply with all financial aid policies and procedures. Participating students must also maintain good academic standing and satisfactory academic progress.

This program covers tuition charges only. Students are responsible for all non-tuition charges, including room, board, and fees. Tuition remission may affect other forms of financial aid (see the FAQs, below).

Participating Institutions

NHCUC members that currently participate in the Cooperative Tuition Remission program include a range of private colleges and universities:

Colby-Sawyer College

Franklin Pierce University

Hellenic American University

New England College, including the Institute of Art & Design

Rivier University

Saint Anselm College

Southern New Hampshire University

Tuition Remission FAQs

1. For how many years can I receive the benefit?

The NHCUC Cooperative Tuition Remission benefit is usually available for undergraduate students for a total of four years (or the equivalent). Students must meet the attended college’s stated standards to continue the benefit.

2. Does being a Tuition Remission recipient affect my admission to college?
The benefit has no effect on admission to college.
3. What happens if my parent or guardian becomes ineligible for this benefit in the middle of a semester?
In the event the employee loses eligibility in the middle of a semester, the benefit will continue through the end of that semester.
4. Should I apply for college admission before, after, or at the same time as applying for the Tuition Remission program?

Students should apply for college admission simultaneously with applying for the NHCUC Tuition Remission program benefit, prior to March 1.

5. Is the NHCUC Tuition Remission benefit taxable?
The benefit itself is not taxable. However, scholarship or grant funding that exceeds education expenses may incur taxes. Check with your tax advisor for your individual liability.
6. Is the benefit guaranteed for four years?
While students usually receive the benefit for four years, it is not guaranteed. The student and parent/guardian must remain eligible, and both schools must remain participants.
7. How do I show that I’m a dependent?

The employee must provide either a current tax return or signed statement verifying that the student is a dependent as defined by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.

8. What happens to my other types of financial aid?

Because the Tuition Remission benefit covers full tuition, it is usually the maximum financial aid a student will receive. If you receive notice of additional aid, check with your institution’s Financial Aid office to verify it. If the additional aid can be used for non-tuition expenses, it is at the discretion of the college to allow it to offset or supplement the Tuition Remission benefit. Colleges retain the right to correct errors in award funding.

9. I was told I am eligible for the NHCUC Cooperative Tuition Remission benefit. Should I expect something in writing from the host institution?

You should expect a copy of the completed application from your Home institution (your parent or guardian’s employer) outlining the value of the benefit and any terms and conditions for receipt or continuation of the benefit.

Use the fillable form here to apply for the NHCUC Cooperative Tuition Remission program. The form includes instructions to guide the process.

Tuition Remission Program Application